Disk size and storage arrays

From: William P. Mitchell <bill_mitchell_at_pleasantco.com>
Date: 1997/10/14

My company is re-designing its catalog order entry application. The Oracle v7.3.3 database will end up in the 100s of GB on Symmetrix EMC2 storage arrays; the Sun servers will run Solaris 2.6. Our current EMC 3500 array is configured with 9 GB drives. The new EMC 3700 array can/will come configured with 23 GB drives. Oracle preaches the more spindles, the better.

My question: Does anyone have experience with EMC arrays and 23 GB disks? Does performance suffer under Oracle? Are there benchmarks published somewhere?

Please feel free to contact me: bill_mitchell_at_pleasantco.com

Thanks

    William P. Mitchell Received on Tue Oct 14 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT