Client Failure!

From: Scott Barman <sbarman_at_bdm.com>
Date: 1997/10/13

The project I am working on has a requirement for "minimal" downtime. Although there are questions on the interpretation of "minimal," we are planning on trying to not give it a wide interpretation. To meet this requirement, we have to design the system to maintain the orderentry  process regardless of failures.

Here is the scenario:

	Database:	Oracle 7.3.2.3
			Oracle Financials Applications
	Server:		DEC Alpha 8400 (two clustered systems)
			DEC True Cluster and Parallel Server
	Client:		10SC on WinNT and Win95

Using True Cluster, have an instance of the database runing on a production server and a backup server within the Alpha server cluster. When the production sever fails, the backup server will act as the primary production server until the real one is fixed (or rebooted). According to my sources, this works.

My problem is with the client.
How do I get the client to connect to the backup server if the production server fails? I would like to do this in a way that requires the most minimal user intervention (none would be perfect).

Any help or suggestion is appreciated!

NOTE: Please cc: any responses to me since I am not a regular reader

      of this newsgroup. THANKS!!!!!

scott barman
sbarman_at_bdm.com Received on Mon Oct 13 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT