NT/UNIX Replication

From: allen lucas <alucus_at_concentric.net>
Date: 1997/10/13

We are running NT 7.2.2.4.9 locally on NT 3.51. Our ICAD development team utilizes a AIX machine, accessing ORACLE via SQL*NET. They perform both Reads and Updates to the ORACLE database.

We want to also place ICAD instance in a remote location and need to replicate the data. The Remote node will not allow updates of data, only read access. The phone service to this remote location is not reliable, and historically, we have replicated to read only, non critical instance via physical tapes.

To save money, it has been proposed to install the ORACLE instance on the UNIX platform, thereby eliminating the NT 3.51 machine. I have stated my objections to this for performance and support reasons. I would also like to add a argument concerning the replication issues. To do this, I need to have the answer to a single question of Export/Import of databse data. If I were to shutdown the NT3.51 instance and export data, could the AIX machine inport the data cleanly?

Could someone with knowledge in this area please respond by e-mail to alucus_at_concentric.net.

Thanks.

\\||// What is NC? / \ []--[] Oracle - "The future of Computing" @ /\ @ Fat Albert - "No Class" {----} ^^ alucus_at_concentric.net Chicago Bridge and Iron