Re: SQL*Net connection thru a firewall

From: Phil Herring <revdoc_at_uow.edu.au>
Date: 1997/10/13

In article <01bcd541$b89208a0$ba030059_at_billyv.vslabs.co.za> Billy Verreynne, vslabs_at_onwe.co.za writes:
>I disagree. Do not confuse the socket handle with the port number. After an
>accept() by the listener on port 1521 a socket handle is created which is
>used for communication. This socket is still bind() to port 1521. Test it
>from a Win95 PC using the netstat command - after the initial connection to
>the server on port 1521 (ir whatever port the listener sits on), _no_ new
>connections on any ports are initiated automatically between the child
>process (which the listener fork()) on the server and the client process
>on the PC.

From netstat on our server (hostnames altered to protect the innocent):

emperor.35980         foobar.uow.edu.au.1293  8293      0  8760      0 ESTABLISHED
^^^^^^^^^^^^^

According to 'man netstat':

     The  symbolic  format  normally  used  to   display   socket
     addresses is either:

          hostname.port

     when the name of the host is specified, or:

          network.port

     if a socket address specifies  a  network  but  no  specific
     host.

(Note that none of this is relevant to SQL*Net V1, which always seems to use the same port number.)

Copyright 1997 Phil Herring. This article may not be reproduced for profit.