Re: Reverse engineering a view

From: Peter Ellerau <Peter.Ellerau_at_lawsonmardon.com>
Date: 1997/10/10

briankh_at_umich.edu wrote:

> I need to find out the join conditions of a view that joins two tables.
>
> I have found sql scripts that I believe created some of the other views
> I'm working with but, cannot find any for this one. I've looked at the
> entry in the ALL_VIEWS table and can see only the first several
> characters of the text that created this view.
>
> How can I find out what a view is doing?
>
> Brian Harcourt
> University of Michigan
> briankh_at_umich.edu

Brian,

the text of the views is stored in a LONG field (desc all_views). By default, you do not see the whole content of a LONG field in SQL*Plus but only the first 80 characters.

You have to set the LONG parameter in SQL*Plus by:

        set long n

where n stands for the number characters to be displayed.

And, do not forget to set the pagesize to more than 24 lines...

Hope that helps.
Peter Received on Fri Oct 10 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT