Re: Temporary tables in Oracle

From: Scott Thompson <sft_at_lucent.com>
Date: 1997/10/09

I think we all know how to create standard tables to be used temporarily, 'implicitly temporary' tables, but the point people are missing is that 'explicitly temporary' tables are typically more efficient (lightweight) than standard tables. An example of functionality provided by other RDBMSs, OpenIngres's temporary tables, in addition to being automagically removed at session end, are not cataloged, exist exclusively in memory (if possible) and are not logged (to the recovery log).

Oracle's 'non recoverable' table option seems like it could be a step in the right direction, but it is currently intended for a different purpose.

--
Scott Thompson