Fooling an Oracle application

From: Bruce Bristol <ovmail1.xzbhky_at_eds.com>
Date: 1997/10/07

Is there a way I can fool an application with a view in such a way that it receives more data than a column contains?

I need to do this, if possible, because I'm removing columns and replacing them with new columns on several large tables and I don't want to have to modify the
application after I make changes to each table. I'd rather do it after all the tables have been changed.

Example:

COMPANY-INFO CHAR(7) is really comprised of

COLUMN-A          CHAR(3)
COLUMN-B          CHAR(1)
COLUMN-C          CHAR(1)
COLUMN-D          CHAR(1)
COLUMN-E           CHAR(1)

I'm dropping COMPANY-INFO and what would be COLUMN-E, but adding COLUMN-B, C and D, so now my 7 bytes of info is replaced by 3 bytes of info.

I want the application to see, however,
"0000"+COLUMN-B+COLUMN-C+COLUMN-D. Thank you!

-Bruce Received on Tue Oct 07 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT