Re: Using Oracle Roles?

From: Ken Denny <kendenny_at_bnr.ca>
Date: 1997/10/07

Douglas Scott wrote:

> Can anyone point me to a third party product or information on using
> Oracle roles within an application? What I would like to do which I
> heard is possible is to set up roles with database privileges so that
> when a user runs a particular application they will have all the
> necessary table privileges needed by the application and when they exit
> the application all the privileges go away.
> --
>
> Douglas Scott
> Douglas.S.Scott_at_boeing.com

You can do what Thomas Vanya suggested having a non-default role which is enabled with a password. Another approach is for your application to use stored procedures/packages to do its updating. Packages and procedures execute with the privileges of their owner rather than the user who called them. That way a user might have no update privileges but might have execute privileges on a procedure which updates.

Hope this helps
Ken Denny
kendenny_at_bnr.ca (work)
kdenny_at_interpath.com (home) Received on Tue Oct 07 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT