Re: if exists and dropping tables

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1997/10/07

On Tue, 7 Oct 1997 03:37:29 GMT, TerryTraub_at_world.std.com wrote:

>Hi,
>I'm doing an Oracle project after many years of Sybase and while I'm
>favorably impressed with many aspects of Oracle, I greatly miss the Sybase
>syntax for checking if a table exists:
>
> if exists (select * from sysobjects where name = 'my_table')
> begin
> drop table my_table
> end
> go
>
> create table my_table (...)
>
>This made for nice clean scripts. How do you do the equivalent
>in Oracle, to avoid getting lots of spurious error messages when
>installing tables the first time? Looks like this calls for some
>convoluted PL/SQL to check the USER_TABLES view or some such.

first, you'll need to use dynamic sql in plsql to create tables. if you are creating a stored procedure (as opposed to the anonymous block i show you below which is pl/sql but not a stored procedure) you'll need to make sure the owner of the procedure has CREATE TABLE granted directly to them (not via a role) else you'll get insufficient priveleges at runtime.

second, we'll forget about trying to see if the table is there (although you could, you would just query the data dictionary). Instead, we'll just drop the table and handle the error that would happen if the table didn't exist gracefully.

so your plsql code might look like:

declare

    TABLE_OR_VIEW_DOES_NOT_EXIST exception;     pragma exception_init( TABLE_OR_VIEW_DOES_NOT_EXIST, -942 ); begin

  begin
    execute_immediate_proc( 'drop table foo' );   exception
    when TABLE_OR_VIEW_DOES_NOT_EXIST then null;   end;

  execute_immediate_proc( 'create table foo( x int )' ); end;
/

the execute_immediate_proc is a convienence routine I use around the dbms_sql package, it is:

create or replace
function execute_immediate( stmt in varchar2 ) return number
as

    exec_cursor integer default dbms_sql.open_cursor;     rows_processed number default 0;
begin

    dbms_sql.parse(exec_cursor, stmt, dbms_sql.native );
    rows_processed := dbms_sql.execute(exec_cursor);
    dbms_sql.close_cursor( exec_cursor );
    return rows_processed;
exception

    when others then

      if dbms_sql.is_open(exec_cursor) then
        dbms_sql.close_cursor(exec_cursor);
      end if;
      raise;

end;
/

create or replace
procedure execute_immediate_proc( stmt in varchar2 ) as

    rows_processed number default 0;
begin

    rows_processed := execute_immediate( stmt ); end;
/

NOTE: since roles are not enabled in stored objects, the procedure execute_immediate_proc only runs with priveleges you have been granted directly. If you cannot run the following in sqlplus:

SQL> set role none;
SQL> drop table foo;
SQL> create table foo;
SQL> drop table foo;

without getting an insufficient priveleges error, you will need to have CREATE TABLE granted directly to you first.

>While I'm at it... Why can't you obtain result sets using stored
>procedures in Oracle? It makes for cleaner code to keep all the SQL
>in the server, and yet this limitation forces us to use Pro*C or OO4O,
>which binds the front end code too tightly to the database schema.
>Thanks for any enlightening postings!

With 7.2 and 7.3 of the database you have cursor variables. Cursor variables are cursors opened by a pl/sql routine and fetched from by another application or pl/sql routine (in 7.3 pl/sql routines can fetch from cursor variables as well as open them). The cursor variables are opened with the privelegs of the owner of the procedure and behave just like they were completely contained within the pl/sql routine. It uses the inputs to decide what database it will run a query on.

Here is a 7.2 / 7.3 example in SQL*Plus and PRO*C

create or replace package empCurType
as

        cursor c1 is select ename, mgr, dept.deptno, dname, loc from emp, dept;

        type empCur is ref cursor return c1%rowtype;

	procedure open_cursor( p_cursor in out empCur,
						   p_deptno in     number );

end;
/
show errors

create or replace package body empCurType as

procedure open_cursor( p_cursor in out empcur, p_deptno in number ) is
begin

	if ( p_deptno in ( 10, 20 ) ) then	-- open local query
		open p_cursor for
			select ename, mgr, dept.deptno, dname, loc
		      from emp, dept
			 where emp.deptno = dept.deptno and dept.deptno = p_deptno;
	else
		open p_cursor for
			select ename, mgr, dept.deptno, dname, loc
		      from emp_at_aria.world, dept_at_aria.world
			 where emp.deptno = dept.deptno and dept.deptno = p_deptno;
	end if;

end open_cursor;

end empCurType;
/
show errors

REM --------------- SQL*Plus using RefCursor to display results ------

variable C refcursor
exec empCurType.open_cursor( :C, 10 )
print C

REM ----------- PRO*C  Getting the cursor ------------------
REM
REM And then the pro*c would look like 'normal' pro*c code except that the EXEC REM SQL OPEN Cursor statement would now be a pl/sql call as follows: REM
REM
REM static void process()
REM {
REM EXEC SQL BEGIN DECLARE SECTION;
REM 	typedef char asciiz;
REM 	EXEC SQL TYPE asciiz IS STRING(100);
REM 	SQL_CURSOR	my_cursor;
REM 	asciiz		ename[40];
REM 	int			mgr;
REM 	short		mgr_i;
REM 	int			deptno;
REM 	asciiz		dname[50];
REM 	asciiz		loc[50];
REM 	int			i;

REM EXEC SQL END DECLARE SECTION;
REM
REM EXEC SQL WHENEVER SQLERROR DO sqlerror_hard(); REM
REM
REM EXEC SQL ALLOCATE :my_cursor;
REM
REM 	EXEC SQL EXECUTE BEGIN empCurType.open_cursor( :my_cursor, 10 ); end;
REM 	END-EXEC;
REM
REM 	for( ;; )
REM 	{
REM 		EXEC SQL WHENEVER NOTFOUND DO BREAK;
REM 		EXEC SQL FETCH :my_cursor
REM 			INTO :ename, :mgr:mgr_i, :deptno, :dname, :loc;
REM
REM 		printf( "%s, %d, %d, %s, %s\n",
REM 				ename, mgr_i?-1:mgr, deptno, dname, loc );
REM 	}
REM 	EXEC SQL CLOSE :my_cursor;

REM } I've been told that the NEON ODBC adapter for Oracle supports cursor variables. Contact info can be found at http://internet1.neonsys.com/

Also, The beta version of Microsoft's latest Oracle ODBC driver (v2.0) is available at: http://www.microsoft.com/msdownload/rds/rdsdownload.htm. It is part of the RDS Server 1.5 Beta download. When you download it you have the option to install any of the included components (ADO, OLE DB, the Oracle ODBC driver, etc...).

Some of the features of the new driver are:   .....
- It can return a resultset from a stored procedure.   .....

>-Terry

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Government
Bethesda MD

Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Tue Oct 07 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT