Re: Chaining Rows

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1997/10/07

On Mon, 06 Oct 1997 14:10:54 -0500, allen lucas <alucus_at_concentric.net> wrote:

>I do not understand how chaining can be happening? If data is added to
>a record, replacing a null with a value, is not the record either stored
>in the current block, or in a new block via row migration? Why am I
>chaining?

analyze table T LIST CHAINED ROWS

identifies migrated and chained rows of the analyzed table or cluster. You cannot use this option when analyzing an index.

the analyze table T compute statistics ( i believe ) does the same thing (migrated = chained, they make no distinction as a migrated row is just a special case of a chained row).

so, the above list contains probably contains migrated as well as any chained rows (but you probably don't have any true chained rows in the normal sense, only migrated rows which are a lot like chained rows -- the original row piece stays on the initial block and the row migrates to a new block).

>Respond via E-Mail if possible.

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Government
Bethesda MD

Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Tue Oct 07 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT