Re: oracle datamart - partioned views

From: Steve Haynes <steve_at_rwx777.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1997/10/07

In article <875543262.18411_at_dejanews.com>, dgray_at_bdsinc.com writes
> for warehousing! - I'm going to oracle 8 soon any body know if oracle 8
>is
> any better.

Oracle 8 has greatly improved partioning over the old 7.3 partitioned views. We are designing a monster system around it at present. No performance stats yet I'm afraid. One thing to bear in mind is to keep the number of partitions down to minimise parsing overheads. Dropping a small (initial) table with 4000 partitions (and no data in any partition) took over an hour. (with nothing else running on the box). Aim at around a few hundred partitions max. Steve

"The floggings will continue until morale improves."