Re: Q: Backup solutions

From: Kluged <kluged_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 1997/10/06

it sounds like you should use hot backups. this allows the database to be up and running while the backup is made. oracle supports this, as well as most third party products like BMC, Alexandria, Platinum, etc.

breaking the mirrors is another option. but it takes away from your high availability unless you have a three way mirror or more. if you only have a two way mirror - as soon as you break the mirror, you open yourself up to crashed database if the remaining disk fails. if you choose this option, you should still put your database in backup mode to freeze the data, break the mirror, take your database out of backup mode and then backup the broken mirror as time permits. it is important to also get copies of your redo logs and control files at this time.