Re: Personal oracle starting when I don't want it to!!

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 1997/10/06

Tim Nickason <tnickasn_at_rogers.wave.ca> wrote in article <01bcd0a8$fc6cc080$03727018_at_timmy.ns.bc.rogers.wave.ca>...
> I have personal oracle 7.3.3 installed on my PC and I also have
> sql*net/ODBC connectiosn to another oracle
> database sitting on a unix server. My problem is, when ever I run MS
> ACCESS to maintain/look at data
> in the database on the unix server, my PC insists on starting up the
> Personal oracle database as well.
> This is not a major problem, but I would like to set things so that
> personal orcacle only starts when I need it
> to.

Edit the Win95 registry (use regedit.exe).

Key:
My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORACLE

Variables:
DATABASE_STARTUP - set it to MANUAL
LISTENER_STARTUP - set it to MANUAL

Just be careful when editing the registry - you could stuff up your whole system. :-)

regards,
Billy Received on Mon Oct 06 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT