Re: ORA-07429: smsgsg: shmget() failed to get segment

From: Jan Andersen <root_at_127.0.0.1>
Date: 1997/10/02

> Louis Lajoie <llajoie_at_videotron.ca> wrote in article
> <3431064B.B1C71F1F_at_videotron.ca>...
> > Hello all:
> >
> > When trying to access our database on our HP-UX server from a PC with
> > SQL*Plus, we get these messages:
> >
> > ERROR: ORA-01034: ORACLE not available
> > ORA-07429: smsgsg: shmget() failed to get segment.
> > HP-UX Error: 2: No such file or directory
> >
> > The same DB can be accessed without any problem on the server itself.
> >
> > Does it ring a bell anyone?
> >
> > Thanks in advance
> >
> > Louis Lajoie
> > Consultant

shmget() is a system call in UNIX to get a piece of shared memory - what it says
is that you can't allocate more shared memory. In many (most?) UNIXes there are
some system wide limits on shared memory. Oracle uses it for inter process communication.

/jan

- while you're here, why not take a look
at a href="http://www.image.dk/~jan_p_a

If you want to reply to me, my electronic
address is ndjan and the server part of it
is nord-data-detail.dk. Or you can use
jan_p_a with server part = image.dk

This rather 'circumvented' explanation is
meant to avoid automatic spammers that
browse the news groups. I hope it works