Re: sqlnet over Internet

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 1997/10/01

Nandan Kalle <kalle_at_pzena.com> wrote in article <01bccddc$bd756d60$67121a26_at_budinacan>...
> Has anyone tried running a SQL*Net session over the Internet? I.e.:
> client workstation w/ SQL*Net Client dials-up to Internet
> server w/ Oracle7 and SQL*Net Server is an Internet node (with a fixed IP
> address)
> In theory this should be possible. Has anyone tried this? How well does
> it work?

It will work. I see no reason why it shouldn't work, except maybe for peformance problems. An IP packet is an IP packet is an IP packet - irrespective of the "transport medium" it runs over. And the net is nothing but the mother of all TCP/IP LANs.. :-)

The other question is of course security. How secure is it running non-encrypted SQL*Net connections via the net? And what mechanisms (maybe a firewall?) do you have in place to protect your server. Crashing the listener with a DoS (denial of service) attack should be pretty easy.

regards,
Billy Received on Wed Oct 01 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT