Re: Sequence numbers jumping

From: Ms. D.H. Harvey <qq45_at_liverpool.ac.uk>
Date: 1997/10/01

Fenella Tan (fenella_at_voicenet.com) wrote:
: We're having problems with our sequence numbers. For some reason, they
: seem to be jumping up by 20 instead of the specified increment by 1.
: Any ideas on what may cause this ? We're using Oracle 7.3 on UNIX with
: a Visual Basic front-end. The jumps happen intermittently. It'll work
: (increment by 1) for a few records, and then it'll suddenly go up by 20
: again. Appreciate any input.

: Fenella

If Oracle 7.3 same as Oracle 7.1.6 wrt sequences you could specify NOCACHE for them via CREATE or ALTER. This means values of sequence are not preallocated ie not held in memory and that increment by 1 means increment by 1.

Hope this helps. Helen Received on Wed Oct 01 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT