Re: Please Help with an *Advanced* question. Thanks.

From: NNOOR <Nnoor_at_cris.com>
Date: 1997/09/30

Further to this problem: I was able to figure out how to create a new instance (and BD) using the graphical instance manager for NT (we use Oracle WGS 7.3). It creats the new instance with a *unique* SID and correctly starts the services for it as well (startup option is auto). The new DB scripts fine as well. But I notice that there is only *one* TNSListener service. When I try to start, say, schema manager or some other app that tries to connect to Oracle, It connects fine to the ORCL instance (which was created by the Oracle install program originally) but refuses to connect to the new instance. The error message is that TNS was unable to resolve the SID from the connect descriptor. I used the SQL Net easy Config utility to create the alias for the new isntance. i.e., every thing is same except the instance and alias names. What gives? TNSPing pings fine to the alias! weird, hunh?

I used the original initorcl.ora and copied it to inittest.ora. I did not changes the database name (i.e. left it as oracle). Whould I? Does it have to do any thing with the TNSListener, or what? Our goal is to run two databases with two instances on the same machine at the same time. One for the users and one for the developers. Atleast one schema in both databases (and isntances) will be identical in names etc.

I will very thankfull for your help!!!

Regards,
Nasir (nnoor_at_cris.com) Received on Tue Sep 30 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT