Re: prohibit password changes?

From: Kevin Lajevardi <kevinl_at_gene.COM>
Date: 1997/09/30

Kyler,

It sounds as though what you're really after is an ops$ account - ie. an account which is only authenicated at the operating system (unix) level - it does not have a password at the Oracle security level. The ops$ prefix is a convention set by the os_authent_prefix in your init'SID'.ora file. So if you create a user joe like :

    sql> create user ops$joe identified externally;     sql> grant connect top ops$joe;

ops$joe must have a corresponding unix account called joe for this to work. But once logged on to through the os he accesses the database :

    unix-shell-prompt> sqlplus /
The downside to this approach is that if the user requires a password for say a client-server application this won't fly.

Regards,
Kevin