Re: Sequence numbers jumping

From: Kevin Loney <kevin.loney_at_astramerck.com>
Date: 1997/09/30

Fenella Tan <fenella_at_voicenet.com> wrote in article <342EF476.CB9D9919_at_voicenet.com>...
> We're having problems with our sequence numbers. For some reason, they
> seem to be jumping up by 20 instead of the specified increment by 1.
> Any ideas on what may cause this ? We're using Oracle 7.3 on UNIX with
> a Visual Basic front-end. The jumps happen intermittently. It'll work
> (increment by 1) for a few records, and then it'll suddenly go up by 20
> again. Appreciate any input.

Here's what's going on.  You've set the CACHE setting to 20, so 20 sequence
values are cached at a time.  When the database is shutdown, the cached
values are lost.  ALSO, whenever the shared pool is flushed, you lose the
cached values. If you want to avoid this, just ALTER SEQUENCE my_seq NOCACHE;

Kevin. Received on Tue Sep 30 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT