Re: Need Info: Oracle and VB

From: Dennis Taylor <no_spam_dammit_at_ipipeline.net>
Date: 1997/09/29

John Cronan <jcronan_at_comcat.com> wrote in article <342E9760.7B55_at_comcat.com>...
> I need some help finding resources on accessing Oracle data from Visual
> Basic (v5.0). Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Two possibilities come to mind:

  1. An oracle odbc driver is available with VB5, but you have to explicitly choose to install it. Works ok, from what I'm told.
  2. You can get Oracle Objects for OLE (OO4O) from Oracle, which is an OCX (for VB) and a set of libraries (for VC) for accessing Oracle. Requires SQL*NET. Much faster than odbc, but the documentation lives down to oracle standards, i.e. it's virtually nonexistant.
--
---
email address is dtaylor at ipipeline dot net