Re: Dark ages performance problem (UNIX SVR3 running ORACLE 6.0.30)

From: MarkP28665 <markp28665_at_aol.com>
Date: 1997/09/26

Barry Ostroff Lucent Technologies kidnme_at_dr.lucent.com >> I'm investigating a performance problem on a UNIX System V Release 3.2.2 machine running ORACLE 6.0.30. We have a relatively small database (about 5000 records in a single table). <<

If sounds from the additional information that you gave that you proved it is a Unix related problem, but to be safe check the following: 1) that a redo log switch is not occurring at the time of the poor response (increase the redo log size if it is) 2) check if the Oracle db table file, index file, and unix file are on the same disk. If they are try to relocate them to separate disks.

I would also suggest doing a re-org on the table if it has been a long time since this was done. You did not give the size in megabytes, but you can probably export and import in only a few minutes for 10M or less depending on row size and packing density.

Good luck. It has been a while since I work on ver. 6.

Mark Powell -- The only advise that counts is the advise that you follow so follow your own advise Received on Fri Sep 26 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT