Re: Updating one table with the data from another table with matching field

From: Cleve Sharpe <cleve_at_cbcsf.org>
Date: 1997/09/26

SKMGMT wrote in article <19970917015900.VAA19564_at_ladder01.news.aol.com>...

>Master_Table: Name Varchar2(20)
> Age Number(3)
> Salary Number (8)
> Ssn Number (10)
>
> Payroll_Table Ssn Number (10)
> Avg_Salary Number (8)
>
>Update the salary column of master table with avg_salary/12 for
>corresponding ssn. Use only SQL query. PL/SQL Block not allowed.

You may have already received the answer to this but here it is:

    update master_table

    set salary = (     select payroll_table.avg_salary/12
           from payroll_table
           where payroll_table.ssn = master_table.ssn)
Hope that helps.

Cleve
Community Blood Centers of South Florida e-mail: cleve_at_nospam.cbcsf.org

/* remove nospam from my e-mail address to send me e-mail */ Received on Fri Sep 26 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT