Re: Oracle shared memory error

From: Phil Herring <revdoc_at_uow.edu.au>
Date: 1997/09/24

In article <3427FE3C.6A35_at_erols.com> ErnieCee, acgator_at_erols.com writes:
>The scripts seems to work fine for small test data files, but with huge
>data files it crashes and gives me an error stating that the database is
>unable to allocated enough shared memory to execute the SQL statement.
>
>My question is has anyone experienced this problem, and is it an Oracle
>configuration problem, or a problem with my script. Any information
>would be most helpful.

Sounds like the dreaded ORA-4031 error.

The RDBMS is not configured with sufficient shared memory to execute your application. Or, if you prefer, your application wants more resources that the server can provide.

Solution: either increase the value for SHARED_POOL_SIZE in init.ora, or pin large objects in memory when the RDBMS is started, or both. Pinning objects is done using the DBMS_SHARED_POOL package (see the file dbmspool.sql on your server).

Copyright 1997 Phil Herring. This article may not be reproduced for profit.