Re: HELP! NO EXPORT TO TAPE FOR NT??

From: Mark Rosenbaum <mjr_at_netcom.com>
Date: 1997/09/22

In article <01bcc2b8$33195340$2d2bb1cc_at_Kirsh.itsc.state.md.us>, Laurie Kirsh <lkirsh_at_itsc.org> wrote:
>We are working with a large Oracle database on Windows NT 4.0 and recently
>found out, to our dismay, that Oracle is incapable of exporting to tape on
>an NT system. This was discovered during a support call. There was no
>workaround provided to us by tech support exept to write to disk then push
>to tape. This is unacceptable with a 65gig database to export. We find it
>VERY hard to believe that you cannot export to tape. There must be a
>workaround somewhere or somehow. We have seen sales documentation provided
>by Oracle telling stories of large Oracle databases on NT and can only
>assume that they are able to perform traditional backup procedures (which
>include exports). Do you have any solutions available for us? Could you
>please contact us with this information, or an explanation, as soon as
>possible? I thank you in advance for any suggestions you may be able to
>provide.

Laurie,

I'm not an NT person so you will have to take what I say with several grains of salt 8-}. NT has a POSIX compatability mode (try MKS). In POSIX (UNIX) you can use a named pipe (mkfifo) which looks like a file but is actually a pipe in memory. If you use this as the destination of your export while simultanously using it as the source of your tape write you will not use any disk space for your export.

Hope this helps

Mark Rosenbaum			Otey-Rosenbaum & Frazier, Inc.
mjr_at_netcom.com			Consultants in High Performance and
(303) 727-7956			Scalable Computing and Applications
POB 1397			ftp://ftp.netcom.com/pub/mj/mjr/
Boulder CO 80306 Received on Mon Sep 22 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT