Help! Trying to maximize query speed.

From: Ben Harmon <benh_at_dascom.nospam.com>
Date: 1997/09/22

Hi,

        I need to perform a select operation on a very large table (a million+ rows).

        Here is my first pass at the query:

select count(*), column_1, column_2 from my_table group by column_1, column_2;

        Please disregard indexes and so forth for the time being (though I might be back!). Is there any other way to write a select statement to accomplish the same thing that will execute any faster?

Please e-mail replies if possible as I don't have access to this newsgroup often.

Thank you!

Ben Harmon
benh_at_dascom.nospam.com
**Please remove .nospam if you want to mail me**