Re: Large Tables

From: Dragon Fly <dfly_at_siberia.ru>
Date: 1997/09/22

if your table has > 1-2 million rows
you may find it extremely beneficial
to split it into multiple tables and then create a partition view on them.

We had a table with ~ 40 million rows which was growing by 1.2 M rows/month, until it became virtually unusable (it took several hours just to recreate all indexes on it after yet another data load).
After we split it into 44 tables by month of the year, and created a partition view combining all these tables together, it FLIES ! We just have to load each month's data into a separate table and add this table to the view. No indexes get dropped/recreated.

Cordially,
Dragon

nomail_at_nowhere.fr wrote in article <34228CB6.5BE5B369_at_nowhere.fr>...