Database links from Ora7.3/Net2 to Ora6.0/Net2

From: RastM <tkupp_at_pacifier.com>
Date: 1997/09/20

Old server		New server

---------- ----------
SCO OpenDesktop 3 SCO OpenServer 5.0.2 Oracle RDBMS 6.0.37 Oracle RDBMS 7.3.2 no SQL*Net now SQL*Net v2.3 Oracle Reports v2.5

During the upgrade process from the old server to the new server (the front end is also being rewritten), we are trying to make an Oracle Reports 2.5 report that runs on the new Oracle 7 server against the database on the old Oracle 6 server.

We have SQL*Net V1.2.7 and V2.0.15 from a RDBMS 7.0.16 CD-ROM. Can we get either of these SQL*Net versions installed on our Oracle 6 database to talk to the SQL*Net on the Oracle 7 database?

According to the migration manual, it says that SQL*Net V2 is not available for RDBMS V6. According to a note from the Oracle MetaLink support area (Mar 7/97) SQL*Net V1 does not talk to SQL*Net V2.

I seem to recall a Usenet News message from someone saying they had successfully connected a V6 database to a V7 database via SQL*Net, although the configuration was not supported by Oracle. Does anyone recall this message or does anyone have any suggestions? I think I'm going to try to install SQL*Net V2.0.15 with the V6 database and see what happens.

--

tkupp at pacifier dot com Received on Sat Sep 20 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT