Re: Design of a Oracle

From: Kevin O'Connor <kkoconn_at_magma.ca>
Date: 1997/09/17

On Mon, 08 Sep 1997 08:42:41 -0500, David Parry <dparry_at_nu-pharm.com> wrote:

>This may be a hard question to answer. I have been dealing with Novell
>4.1, Unix, Windows, and DOS environments since I have started my career.
>I know and understand the organization or directory structure in those
>environments. I am having difficultly in try to understand the lay out
>of an Oracle server. It is unlike any other system I have worked on.
>There is no directory tree where files are stored. Can anyone explain to
>me in laymen terms the organization, basic file structure and or lay out
>of an Oracle Server?

An oracle server deals with tables , tables tables , and more tables.

input and output are very difficult if you step outside a table.

The most common table is the all_objects table. This lists everything , from what tables are in the database (yup , this table has a list of tables...) , indexes , it even tells you where the triggering code is and how to "select" it to find out the exact text of the triggers and stored proceedures.

Try "Desc all_objects" , and work your way out from there...

There are no files , and no directories , so give up looking for them. Received on Wed Sep 17 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT