Need help for backuping Oracle on a RAID5 tower (AIX)

From: Sylvain Falardeau <sfalardeauNOSPAM_at_qbc.clic.net>
Date: 1997/09/13

Equipment involved:

IBM Risc/6000 J30
AIX version 4.1.5
Oracle 7.2.3.3
7135 RAIDiant RAID5 Tower. Total 35 Go (2 disks) 2 controlers for 7135.
Last version of 7135 Controler Micro-code updated by IBM staff.

Problem:

When backuping a Oracle database (6 files of 1Gig with the AIX Filesystem)
with SYSBACK (AIX backup utilities), we can't restore it without "inconsistencies" of filesystem:

	ls -l	indicate 6 files of 1G in the 8G filesystem.
	df -k	indicate 40% of filesystem space used!!!

When calling Oracle support, he says that some backup utilities trunc nulls in files (like tar). But the guy don't say anything about SYSBACK. If anyone exprienced some problems with this type of hardware and Oracle
database, please e-mail me your solution for safe backup. :) :)

Sylvain Falardeau
sfalardeauNOSPAM_at_qbc.clic.net
remove the NOSPAM of my e-mail
adress before replying. Received on Sat Sep 13 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT