SQL Question : About redundancy

From: Srinivasan Vinod <vks7584_at_tntech.edu>
Date: 1997/09/13

Hello

My question goes like this. Suppose I need to create a database to retrieve all the courses taken by a student in a term. Lets say I created a table that deals with student information and it has a primary key which is a student ID. I have a course table describing all the courses. If I need to relate these two, do I need to create a table that has a students id and all the courses taken by that student. If I do that, I am repeating the ID number in one column in case a student takes more than one course. How do I avoid this redundancy? Is this normal or is there anyway that I can avoid this redundant data in one column..

I am a beginner and just started learning database. Please do advice and mail me at vks7584_at_tntech.edu.

vks Received on Sat Sep 13 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT