Re: ORACLE DB Design on PC Client/Server

From: <drippel_at_perspect.com>
Date: 1997/09/12

This should generate quite a few responses...

  1. 7 vs 8. This issue boils down to, do I go with a tried and true product or something hot off the presses with undiscovered bugs. I think that most consultants will give you the tried and true answer. Especially for mission critical systems. I agree.
  2. The Oracle RELATIONAL database management system seems to go hand and hand with ER Models. Keep in mind you can fit an Object Model to a relational database fairly easily.
  3. This is an issue of performance. So it may be hard to answer without more information about your system. Generally, speaking normalizing is a good thing. It produces more smaller tables. Denormalized produces larger tables.
  4. This is really system specific. I would generally avoid using a counter or artifical id for a primary key. I have been on several projects where data migration/integration between environments becomes impossible because these ids (usually sequence based) get out of sync. Personally, I would go with a mulitvalue primary key. There is no such thing as almost unique.
  5. The foreign key relationships are almost always benefical use them liberally. The many to many relationships are usually resolved just like you said with a crossreference table consisting of the keys from other tables. This is standard practice.