Help: Merge two Data Warehouses

From: <mike_at_mrush.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1997/09/11

The company i work for have two Oracle data warehouses (really Operational Data Stores) which both store information regarding Insurance Policy's, claims etc.

The physical database designs are similar in concept but many of the tables are different in warehouse (different names, format, extra fields in one but not the other etc).

My obvious dilema is that the users want access to integrated information from both of the warehouses. Only a few data Marts have so far been setup so user access is to the base tables (via Business Objects).

I have a number of options as to where i go from here:

  1. Merge the databases by converting the data from one warehouse to the other. This would be an enormously time consuming task, but this would be the ideal solution.
  2. The warehouses could be moved into the same database instance but under different user accounts. This would allow queries to be written and views to be created which access both systems.
  3. Concentrate effort in producing lots of Data Marts with the data extracted from both systems.

Has anyone else tackled this sort of situation?

I would be interested to hear other peoples views on the best way forward.

Mike Rushton

My email address at the top of this message has been changed to avoid spam emails.
Please remove the <NOSPAM> text if replying by email