Re: How are INDEXES BALANCED?

From: Brett Neumeier <neumebm_at_hpd.abbott.com>
Date: 1997/09/11

Ardley Tschetter wrote:

> I need to know if an index is not balanced, how do I get it balanced or is
> it done automatically? For example, when I enter an order number to an
> order entry system and the numbers are sequentially numbered, are the
> records added to the b-tree in one straight line to the tree?

  You're actually ansewring your own question. The b-tree data structure (and its variant types, including the B*-tree used by Oracle for most indexes) is an automatically-balancing structure.

  For further information, consult any text on data structures...

-bn
neumebm_at_hpd.abbott.com Received on Thu Sep 11 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT