Re: [Q] Server Logon Performance

From: Pete Forman <gsez020_at_compo.bedford.waii.com>
Date: 1997/09/11

    Clayton> Can anyone offer advice or comment on the reasons for     Clayton> abnormally slow logons to Oracle 7?

I too have been investigating this on our AIX 4.1 clients and servers. As Ludo Joris has noted the files regid.dat and progress.dat in $ORACLE_HOME/otrace/admin/ are growing. My hunch is that connect and disconnect times are proportional to the size of regid.dat.

I have been running a simple client program under dbx. All it does is connect to the server and then disconnect. There were 9228 calls made to epcrid_next_used(). This is obviously an Oracle internal function which I picked up on using dbx. It does however indicate that regid.dat is being accessed sub-optimally. Its current size is 2674972 bytes.

The performance becomes good when tracing is turned on! It is only bad with trace off. Connect and disconnect may take a minute each. Turning the trace on stops the client from calling epcrid_next_used.

We are currently using a rather tacky workaround. Turn on tracing in SQLNET.ORA but turn off the Unix write permissions for the trace files. Perhaps tracing to /dev/null would work.

--
Pete Forman
Western Geophysical