Re: ORACLE Import

From: Bola Ogunlana <bolao_at_incads.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1997/09/11

In article <5ujmn3$93p$1_at_news.enterprise.net>, Oscar Ssentoogo <impala_at_enterprise.net> writes
>I am trying to import loads of records to an ORacle table but keep having
>the error (in .log file)
>' ORA-01631: max # extents (50) reached in table TRAINS_DATA
>LOAD discontinued'
>
>The maxextents parameter is set to 50 for this table. Can I set Maxextents
>to unlimited?

Yes, if you're using oracle 7.3. If not (< ver 7.3) it depends on your database block size.

>Is there a problem with the size of the table itself or INITIAL etc
>settings? What about PCTINCREASE?

Change the NEXT parameter for the table to a value which is at par with the total data size to be imported into the table, if you don't know then try some large value 1M maybe.

>Here is the create table statement:

No this is for the tablespace, let's assume that the table relies on the default for the tablespace.

>CREATE TABLESPACE boxsheet
> DATAFILE '/oradata/boxt/box_data' size 100M
> DEFAULT STORAGE (
> INITIAL 50K
> NEXT 50K
> MINEXTENTS 2
> MAXEXTENTS 50
> PCTINCREASE 0)
> ONLINE;
>
>Thanks
>
>Oscar

I'll try my best to point you in the right direction. Few questions;

Before the import does the table TRAINS_DATA already exist. If so, is it truncated beforehand. If it is, then it starts off being 2 extents (based on the default for the tablespace). Modify the NEXT parameter to a large value, aprox the size of the data to be imported. You can get an idea of this value from the export file (if a compress = y was used ) by using the imp with the "indexfile" option. If you don't comprehend my gist peek in "Server Utilities guide" the manuals.

What version of the Oracle server are you running? Anything less than 7.3 & you can't set the maxextents to unlimited.

What is the DB_BLOCK_SIZE of your database. This may decide what the maximum value to which MAXEXTENTS may be set to is. 12? for a 2k block database, 249 for 4K block & 505 for 8k block database.

Best of luck. Sorry for the brevity but I've got to rush. Mail me if you need any further clarification/help.

--
Bola Ogunlana