Re: Creating & accessing a database across CDs

From: Timothy Atwood <tatwood_at_comptree.com>
Date: 1997/09/06

More information should be provided. For instance, are these CD's going to be updated? You would need CD/RW. Are they going to be marketed? Personally, I would always choose Hard Drives over CD-ROM even for database retrieval because you can not only update the database, but access time is much faster, and there is better support for mirroring spanned databases across hard drives. I can't imagine constantly creating a "fixed database" on CD-ROM, since things always change. CD could be used as a backup tool, but again, I would use tape backup systems, or possibly CD/RW. This technology needs CD-RW readable CD-ROMS to play back, which there are only three drives currently on the market...

Timothy Atwood

Co-Author Teach Yourself PL/SQL in 21 Days, available 10/31/97 by SAMS

Alexander Vos <alv_at_wup.de> wrote in article <341014FA.7485B625_at_wup.de>...