Re: Dynamic SQL Pb

From: Tomm Carr <carr%tw_at_edwards.af.mil>
Date: 1997/09/03

Laurent PISSARD wrote:

> I am doing a "SELECT" on five columns and only 2 columns are accept
> by the compler :
> If someone have an idea of my Pb, Thanks a lot.
>
> My Procedure Body :
> ------------------------
> curseur := DBMS_SQL.OPEN_CURSOR;
>
> DBMS_SQL.PARSE (curseur,
> 'SELECT gd_nid, gd_nidpath, gd_name, gd_itemtype,
> gd_encode
> FROM cognaq_gd_items
> WHERE ' || p_requete,
> DBMS_SQL.V7 );
>
> DBMS_SQL.DEFINE_COLUMN (curseur, 1, nid);
> DBMS_SQL.DEFINE_COLUMN (curseur, 2, nidpath);
> DBMS_SQL.DEFINE_COLUMN (curseur, 3, name);
> DBMS_SQL.DEFINE_COLUMN (curseur, 4, itemtype);
> DBMS_SQL.DEFINE_COLUMN (curseur, 5, encode);
> 191/7 PLS-00307: trop de déclarations de 'DEFINE_COLUMN'
> correspondent
> à cet appel
>
> 191/7 PL/SQL: Statement ignored
> 192/7 PLS-00307: trop de déclarations de 'DEFINE_COLUMN'
> correspondent
> à cet appel
>
> 192/7 PL/SQL: Statement ignored
> 194/7 PLS-00307: trop de déclarations de 'DEFINE_COLUMN'
> correspondent
> à cet appel

Gee. Even error messages look romantic in French!

PLS-307 means that the compiler could not decide which overloaded copy of the procedure you meant to call. DEFINE_COLUMN is everloaded with the third argument as type varchar2, number, date, and mlslabel. You do not show the declaration of name, itemtype and encode, but apparently there is enough ambiquity that the compiler cannot decide if they are, for instance, a number or a date.

--
Tomm Carr
tommcatt@computer.org -- http://www.geocities.com/athens/delphi/6769