SSI and Oracle WebServer 2.1

From: Leslie_B_DreyerKalra <lbd_at_techiesinc.com>
Date: 1997/09/03

Sorry to bother you again, but I'm stuck on my configuration of Oracle Webserver 2.1 again.

I need to configure it so that I can do exec's of PL/SQL stored procedures from HTML files. I can run my stored procedure as a CGI program as the URL, but when I try to do it with SSI, I get an error.

What I'm trying to do is generate a standard header (which is dynamic depending on the value of a cookie). I can get the header to display if I use this URL:

http://servername/ows-bin/owa/packagename.header

But, if I put the following in an SSI file (test.shtml), I get an error, which I'll show after the HTML fragment:

<!--#exec cgi="/ows-bin/owa/packagename.header"-->

The error is:

"ERROR: error in exec'ing
/path_to_oracle/product/7.3.2/ows21/bin/owa/packagename.header
ERROR: error in processing exec..cgi tag"

Nothing like useful error messages, right?

I can't find any other errors logged in any other files. This one is in the WRB log file, which makes me suspicious to start with, since this should be working as CGI, as far as I know.

I have a mapping defined in my listener configuration so that the
/ows-bin/ virtual directory is really
/path_to_oracle/product/7.3.2/ows21/bin. That came with the default
configuration and I haven't changed it. According to my reading, the use of /ows-bin/ in the path should tell it to use CGI rather than WRB.

Can anyone help me with this? I've also tried doing this the opposite way -- that is, trying to include the static HTML file within the PL/SQL stored procedure. Then I get the header, but the static file doesn't display -- it just includes the <!--#include--> tag in the generated page as a comment, presumably because the generated page isn't in the
/ssi directory, which Oracle WebServer seems to require for SSI.

I'm working without any documentation for Oracle WebServer except the on-line documentation, so any help you can offer on WebServer configuration will help...

Thanks much!

Leslie

--
Leslie Dreyer Kalra