Re: Oracle Context Option

From: Joel R. Kallman <jkallman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1997/08/28

On Thu, 28 Aug 1997 14:36:43 -0600, jeremy_at_cs.unm.edu wrote:

>I was wondering if anyone could help me find out information about the
>Oracle7 Context Option. Apparently, we have it installed, but I have
>no idea of how to use it (creating and managing indexes, and actual SQL
>code to use it).
>
>I've tried visiting Oracle's web site... but all they have is very
>high level information on the Oracle8 Context Option.
>
> -Jeremy

To now "use" ConText, all you need to do is create a ConText policy on a database column, and then create and index for that policy.

When you create a policy, you define a number of attributes that defines how the column data is to be treated. Using a policy, you can indicate if the textual data is stored within the column, or if the column contains a "pointer" to the actual text (file specification or URL). Also, using a policy, you can indicate what format the data is (e.g., MS Word, PDF, ASCII, etc.). There are a number of other settings that make up a policy.

Once you then define your ConText index and start a ConText server, the actual SQL is through use of the CONTAINS function, of the form:

	SELECT <x> FROM <table> WHERE
		CONTAINS(<policy>,<criteria>) > 0;

Now if you're asking how you go about setting up policies and indexes, you can do this using the ConText packages (CTX_DDL.*), or through use of the ConText Option System Adminstraiton tool for Windows 95/NT. This should be included with the installation kit. As well, there are a number of manuals included with the ConText Cartridge, one of which covers installation and administration.
Thanks!

Joel

Joel R. Kallman          Enabling the Information Age through
Oracle Government                Network Computing!
Bethesda, MD                  http://govt.us.oracle.com
jkallman@us.oracle.com          http://www.oracle.com

The statements and opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Oracle Corporation. Received on Thu Aug 28 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT