Re: ORACLE LICENCES, USERS and SESSIONS ???????????????

From: Judie Stroup <judie.stroup_at_lmco.com>
Date: 1997/08/27

Luis Campos wrote:

> They may be silly, but these are my troubling questions:
>
> 1. Imagine I buy a Oracle7 Workgroup license for 5 users. Imagine I put in
> one of those licenced users the whole scheme for my app. Now: can I have 30
> users, each one with a different session in the same Oracle user?
>
> 2. Despite the last question, how da hell does Oracle knows I am using 5
> users, or 50?
>
> These questions do not intend to rip off Oracle, but to know till where
> Oracle can serve my needs.
>
> I would really apreciate if someone can help me out there.
>
> Thanks in Advance.
>
> Luis Campos
> (if possible send me out a personal email)
> lcampos_at_cpcis.pt

Oracle now licenses based on what they call a "concurrent device". So, it doesn't matter what username the person logs on as, or how many session are running, but rather how many devices (terminals, desktops, or other servers) are connected to your database concurrently.

That said, I'm not aware that there is anyway for the database to track or flag you when the number of concurrent devices exceeds your license. Received on Wed Aug 27 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT