SQL*NET Dead Connection Detection Feature

From: <jbelcher_at_csc.com>
Date: 1997/08/27

Has anyone had problems with the "SQLNET.EXPIRE_TIME" parameter that is
placed within SQLNET.ORA to poll clients for inactivity? We have a problem of 1) knowing whether it is working on the server side and

           2) whether the feature is compatible with sql*net 2.0.12.1.0?

We are currently running 2.1.4.1.0 release of sql*net on the server and
trying to use the Dead Connection Detection feature ( SQLNET.EXPIRE_TIME )
to detect any client connections that are no longer responding. We are
having problems with one of our clients responding. They are currently
running SQL*NET 2.0.12.1.0 and they are intermittently being disconnected
due to the server process being dropped. We have talked to ORACLE and five different people have told us three different stories. If anyone

has experienced something similar and was able to resolve the problem please let me know.