SSI in Oracle Webserver 2.1

From: Leslie_B_DreyerKalra <lbd_at_techiesinc.com>
Date: 1997/08/18

I'm beating my head against a wall for something so silly!

How on earth do I get SSI (parsed-html) to work in Oracle Webserver 2.1??? I *really* dislike form-administered web servers to start with, but when I can't get them to do a simple thing like SSI, I get really steamed.

I've gone into my web listener configuration and make sure that LiveHTML is enabled. I don't want it to parse every file, so I disabled the "parse .html files" option. I went into my WRB admin forms and configured the SSI cartridge with ParseHTMLExtn as TRUE (I've tried it both ways -- I'm at the point now where I'll try anything). I even went in and defined the text/x-server-parsed-html MIME type, but nothing works. If I get anything at all, it treats the file either as application/octet-stream and wants to save it to disk (if I don't have the x-server-parsed-html MIME type set up at the moment) or it sees the x-server-parsed-html MIME type and *still* wants to save it to disk. If I enable the .html parsing, it just ignores my <!--#include (or <!--#exec)...

Another odd thing is, when I tried to use the usual .shtml extension for the x-server-parsed-html MIME type, I got an error when I tried to restart the listener, saying it was too long. If I defined it as .shtm, it restarted fine, but still didn't actually parse.

I use SSIs heavily on my other (Apache) web server, so I know the problem is not with my syntax. I have a very simple test file that works with an NCSA server running on the same machine, but not on the Oracle server.

I'm using Oracle 7.3.2.3 with Oracle Webserver 2.1 on Solaris 2.5.1 for SPARC. I hope someone out there who likes web-forms-administered web servers can help me before I put my fist through this monitor.

Having a bad week... already!

With undying gratitude...

Leslie

--