Re: Installing Oracle on SCO 5.0.4

From: Ansgar Seiter <seiter_at_phya5.physik.uni-freiburg.de>
Date: 1997/08/18

Hi there,

I didn't follow thi sthread and I just see the end of it, 'cause all the prior postings are out of date. I'm butting in, 'cause I might know the answer to the 2 problems referenced beneath.

Tom Cooke wrote:

> David, I'll be more specific. Your mail shows at least 2 problems; one
> is "ar not found" - have you installed the SCO Development System on
> your server? Oracle say it is possible to rebuild Oracle binaries
> withough it, but I am not clear how. We always buy and install the
> Development System on any Oracle system we build - it's needed for Pro*C
> development/deployment anyway.
>

> Your second problem is your libraries not found message. What I am
> saying is that very likely these libraries are on your system. They
> certainly will be if you install the Development System fully, which
> includes the TCP/IP development libraries (needed for relinking Oracle
> products with SQL*Net support).

according to an old posting I've saved the workaround for the ar problem is (SCO ODT 5.0.2) :
<qoute>
The Oracle makefile script $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/lib/ins_rdbms.mk makes a call to the Unix command ^¥ar^ã which is part of the SCO Development System. This appears to be an error script. ar should be replace with $(AR) which is set to /bin/idar. As a work around to this bug link /bin/ar to /bin/idar, and after the installation remove /bin/ar. ln /bin/idar /bin/ar
</qoute>

for the libraries : have u installed the application development libraries and linker from the SCO OPen Server CD ? I haven't tried that out, 'cause I had the Development System on my server.
If his isn't of help, I apologize,

Ansgar

--
 Ansgar Seiter          	 Group Prof. Ch. Schlier
 Department of Physics