Re: Creating an Oracle data source on NT

From: Michael Krolewski <mkrolews_at_upw.com>
Date: 1997/08/16

Louie Iacona wrote:

> I have an Oracle 7.3 Workgroup NT question
> that may be a bit basic for this crowd, but
> your help would be appreciated.
>
> I am attempting to perform the basic task of
> creating a data source - associating a name with
> an Oracle data base. The data base/space exists,
> but when I launch the (Oracle's) 32-bit ODBC admin,
> the dialog does not allow me to associate a data src name with
> a data base (it presents input for description, SQL connect string,
> and some other NA field). Every other data base type
> on my system is associated with a particular data base - as you would
> expect. A different dialog box appears for other
> db types (assess, FoxPro or SQL server, for example) - one that
> allows me to name the db by name.
>
> What am I missing? (Hope it's nothing basic).
> Has anyone associated a data source name with an Oracle data base?
>
> All pointers will be much appreciated.
>
> Please email response to:
> lji_at_juno.com
>
> Louie I.

Several possibilities ...

  1. does the database actually exist -- physically as well as in tnsnames
  2. are you connected to the database. I recently tried to do an install from the Developers 2000 toolkit. Either the SQL*Net Client was missing or was incompatible. In any case, I located the SQL*Net client on the Oracle NT Server CD and things started right up.

                make sure you have SQL*Net Client and the other SQL*Net components like TCP/IP,etc. You should be able to install and connect using SQL*Plus.

        3) get the latest ODBC drivers from the Oracle site. Our original drivers did
not function correctly. I cannot recall the exact number. I am aware that the latest
versions (1.13??? and 2.xxx) are both functional.

        Happy computing...

Mike Krolewski Received on Sat Aug 16 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT