Re: Oracle ODBC

From: Thomas <thomasl_at_netcom.ca>
Date: 1997/08/16

Steve Moreland wrote:

> Thomas wrote:
> >
> > I got similar problem in making ODBC with in NT 4.0 ORACLE but with the
> > following configuration
> >
> > Oracle Server 7.3.2.2.0
> > SQL*Net Client 2.3.2.1.4
> > SQL*Net Server 2.3.2.1.4
> > Oracle ODBC Driver 1.15.3.1.0A
> >
> > I used ORACLE 32-bit Administrator to configure a System DSN with the
> > following parameters
> >
> > Data Source Name : gsdb2
> > Description : gsdb2
> > SQL*Net Connect String : t:abi_168:ORCL
> >
> > In the connect string, T: is for TCP/IP protocol, abi_168 is the host
> > name of the NT machine. The machine is standalone without networking.
> > The ORCL is the default ORACLE SID database name.
> >
> > I checked the Services in Control Panel, Oracle was up. I can use
> > SQL*PLUS to do all DDL and DML for the gsdb2 account inside ORCL.
> >
> > I used Oracle "32-bit ODBC TEST" program to test but got the following
> > errors. If I try FoxPro, Access database everything fine.
> >
> > SQLSTATE: 08003
> > Native Error Code:0
> > Driver Message:[Oracle][ODBC Oracle Driver]Connection not open.
> >
> > SQLSTATE: 01000
> > Native Error Code:0
> > Driver Message:[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] The driver returned
> > invalid (or failed to return)
> > SQL_DRIVER_ODBC_VER: %s
> >
> > SQLSTATE: S1000
> > Native Error Code:3121
> > Driver Message:[Oracle][ODBC Oracle Driver][Oracle OCI]ORA-03121: no
> > interface driver connected - function not performed.
> >
> > In access, using ODBC link got this error
> >
> > [Oracle][ODBC Oracle Driver]Connection not open. (#0) [Microsoft][ODBC
> > Driver Manager] The driver returned invalid (or failed to return)
> > SQL_DRIVER_ODBC_VER:%s (#0) [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Driver's
> > SQLSetConnectAttr failed (#0) [Oracle][ODBC Oracle Driver][Oracle
> > OCI]ORA-03121: no interface driver connected - function not performed.
> > (#3121)
> >
> > Do you know how I can make the ODBC works?
> >
> > Thanks in advanced.
> You don't need the "T:", nor the SID ("ORCL") in your SQL*Net connect
> string entered in ODBC Manager. These were used with V1 sqlnet, which
> wasn't supported past Rev 7.2.
>
> Your connect string should match one of the names in your tnsnames.ora
> file.

Thanks Steve, however, I still have problem.

I tried to set the connect string "gsdb2", "abi_168" and "127.0.0.1" in ODBC manager called "ORACLE 32-bit Administrator" or "ODBC Data Source Administrator" in my NT ORACLE icon group. All three settings did not work.

In "ODBC Data Source Administrator", I define gsdb2 as the only "System DSN" with driver "Oracle73", Data Source Name = gsdb2.

My Tnsnames.ora under c:\Orant\Networking\Admin is like this ( I have cut Example1-3.world in this post) :

#This is a SQL*Net Configuration file generated by SQL*Net Easy Configuration.
#Attention: Do not modify this file yourself. #If you do, your SQL*Net Easy Configuration may not function properly.

Tcp-loopback.world =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =

        (ADDRESS =
          (COMMUNITY = tcp.world)
          (PROTOCOL = TCP)
          (Host = 127.0.0.1)
          (Port = 1521)
        )

    )
    (CONNECT_DATA = (SID = ORCL)
    )
  )
Beq-Local.world =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
        (ADDRESS =
          (COMMUNITY = beq.world)
          (PROTOCOL = BEQ)
          (PROGRAM = oracle73)
          (ARGV0 = oracle73ORCL)
          (ARGS = '(DESCRIPTION=(LOCAL=YES)(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=beq)))')
        )

    )
    (CONNECT_DATA = (SID = ORCL)
    )