Re: SQL*Net connection WITHOUT a tnsnames.ora file ? How?

From: Amit Aggarwal <amaggarwal_at_kendle.com>
Date: 1997/08/14

atraber_at_bigfoot.com wrote:

> Environment: SUN Solaris 2.5, Oracle 7.3.., SQL*Net 2.3...
> Task:
> I need to check a database connection BEFORE a tnsnames.ora file is
> available on the client workstation.
>
> Can all the stuff normally located in the tnsnames.ora somehow be
> specified on the command line for example for sqlplus ?
>
> I tried something like:
> sqlplus scott/tiger@(ADDRESS=(COMMUNITY=TCP_com)(HOST=...)(Port=..)...
> but no matter what i specify: in the end there is always a result like
> ...cannot resolve service name etc...
>
> Anybody knows how to get around this tnsnames.ora ?

If I understand correctly, you want to check SQL*Net connection but only on server.

You can create tnsnames.ora file on the server itself and put it in $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin directory.
Then run sqlplus scott/tiget_at_service_name.

It should work.

amit
Oracle DBA/Unix SA Received on Thu Aug 14 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT