Re: SQL*Net connection WITHOUT a tnsnames.ora file ? How?

From: Bill Manry <B.Manry_at_upsizeme.us.oracle.com>
Date: 1997/08/14

atraber_at_bigfoot.com wrote:
>I need to check a database connection BEFORE a tnsnames.ora file is
>available on the client workstation.
>Can all the stuff normally located in the tnsnames.ora somehow be
>specified on the command line for example for sqlplus ?
>I tried something like:
>sqlplus scott/tiger@(ADDRESS=(COMMUNITY=TCP_com)(HOST=...)(Port=..)...
>but no matter what i specify: in the end there is always a result like
> ...cannot resolve service name etc...
>Anybody knows how to get around this tnsnames.ora ?

Although we don't recommend coding SQL*Net connection descriptions explicitly, what you are doing should work if the description is written correctly. I don't have a Solaris system handy but was able to make the following work on RS/6000 AIX:

sqlplus scott/tiger@(description=(address=(protocol=tcp)(host=tcpipmvs)\ (port=1498))(connect_data=(sid=ORA8)))

Note: Depending on your shell, you may need to enclose the entire scott/tiger@... sequence in quotes or apostrophes.

/b

--
Bill Manry  -  IBM Products Division  -  Oracle Corporation
These are my opinions, not necessarily Oracle's.