Re: Oracle ODBC

From: Matthias Gresz <GreMa_at_t-online.de>
Date: 1997/08/14

Kipp Woodard wrote:

> I have Oracle running on a SparcStation10, as my server. I am on NTW 4.0.
>
> UNIX(r) System V Release 4.0 (MESAsparc-1)
> Sun Microsystems Inc. SunOS 5.5.1 Generic May 1996
>
> I want to use data in the Oracle DB on that SparcStation10 via ODBC on my
> NTW 4.0 workstation. How do I set up that data source?
>
> Please reply to group and me.
>
> --
> Kipp Woodard, IS Manager
> kwoodard_at_mesahq.com
>
> MESA Solutions- http://www.mesahq.com
> 7800 Governor's Drive West
> Tower Building, 4th floor
> Huntsville, AL 35806
>
> (205) 864-0400

Hi,

  1. first you've to install the SQL-Net client including ODBC for windows NT. 2.Then you've got to set up SQL-Net. Use SQL-NetEasy for this task. It's very easy to configure. 2.a.You have to choose a name (Connect String) 'ora_sparc' f.e. 2.b.then the protocol (TCP/IP) and 2.c.then you've got to fill in the name of your server or it's IP-number. Thus you created a connect string.
  2. Next Step is to administor ODBC. 3.a. Choose ODBC-Administrator out of the 'Oracle for windows NT'-group. 3.b. Type in an ODBC-Alias ('Data Source Name') for Oracle-Connection. This name will be used f.e. by Acces to connect to Oracle. 3.c. Fill in the SQL*net Connect-String you setup in 2.a. and all your work is done. -- Regards

M.Gresz :-) Received on Thu Aug 14 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT