Re: Can Oracle 7.x store 4-digit year dates?

From: Michael Friedman <mfriedma_at_asiansources.com>
Date: 1997/08/11

--------------7D425D15EFAC691174C97D25

Erwan Layman wrote:

> I am new to Oracle and I'm wondering if i can extend the year part of
> DATE data type into 4 digits, ie, DD-MMM-YYYY. I want to avoid
> revamping
> my tables when year 2000 comes.

I hope that any revamping that you do will be done well befor the year 2000.

In fact, I believe that anyone who writes non-year 2000 compliant code today should be fired for gross incompetence. (Obvious exceptions for one-time use utilities and fixes to systems that are not year 2000 compliant or with scheduled replacement before year 2000).

Anyway, all date types in Oracle are 4 digit dates. You should not have trouble until well into the fifth millenium AD.

Mike

Building the future of business to business electronic commerce...

ASM eTrade - Software from the Asian Sources Media Group

24/F Vita Tower, Block B                  Tel: +852 2814 5678
29 Wong Chuk Hang Road                 Direct: +852 2814 5671
Aberdeen, Hong Kong                       Fax: +852 2311 3893

--------------7D425D15EFAC691174C97D25

begin:          vcard
fn:             Michael Friedman
n:              Friedman;Michael
org:            Asian Sources Media Group (eTrade)
email;internet: mfriedma_at_asiansources.com
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0
x-mozilla-html: FALSE
end:            vcard

--------------7D425D15EFAC691174C97D25--