Re: Oracle Type 4 JDBC driver & firewalls

From: Thornton Prime <thor_at_primenet.com>
Date: 1997/08/10

Martin Smith <mfsmith_at_erols.com> wrote:
: The JDBC Thin driver cannot connect to a database from behind a
: firewall. The firewall prevents the
: browser from opening a TCP/IP socket to the database.
: So: does this mean that this product cannot be used in an extranet
: application (meaning one where I have people in other orgs (behind
: firewalls, typically) to whom I want to give access to my database.)

You have a few options (some of which really suck),

  1. You can require that all your extranet members use SQL*Net compiant firewalls.
  2. You can wait until Oracle provides middleware to tunnel through some other protocol (preferably HTTP, or you'll probably have problems with proxies too).
  3. You can buy middleware that already tunnels through HTTP.
  4. You can write your applets without JDBC and pass the data to your applets using RMI, CORBA, or some other firewall-compatible method. I personally use Servlets to connect to Java applets and pass all my data back and forth using HTTP.
--